, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I am still recently a citizen of the fine city of Royal Oak. For those who don’t know it is the closest thing to city living us East Siders have the pleasure of knowing. It has become a Wednesday night tradition to drink dollar beers at the Rock on 3rd and play Euchre, of which I know have two weeks experience under my belt. Amidst our drinking and Euchring my friend Ro Fo, or Robbie Fortner brought to my attention that the Dogg known as Snoop was in town, performing at the Royal Music Theatre some five minutes walking distance down the street. As a music, and good time enthusiast, I was surprised and disappointed this had snuck under my ‘fundar’. Despite being a fan of hip-hop, I’ve attended next to no shows, outside of Bone Thugs performing at the Pepsi Street Motion Dub Show of which I was working.

Despite my disappointment the night went on, as it often does. Dollar beer special runs from 8 to 10, the hour was 10:30, and I thought the show might be getting out around 11, as my experience with shows are a variety of rock and jam sessions generally not allowed to play later than 11. Currently I am promoting an event that I am hosting with College Network G1NBC; it is a battle of bands and swimsuit competition, and although I couldn’t attend Snoop, at least I could take advantage of a good opportunity to hand out flyers.  I said goodnight and was on my way.

While approaching the theatre I exclaimed to two gents,

“Snoop Dogg in our own backyard, and it slipped under our radar.”

One of them replied,

“We’re here to see the show!”

I watched as they walked in, showed a lady their ids, and walked on in.


I thought to my self, and curiously approached. She asked for my ID, I granted her request, the other women gave me a bracelet and said,

“They already scanned your ticket right?”

I replied with a smile,

“They sure did!”

And like that I walked ticketless into Snoop Dogg, on the house. I couldn’t believe it, but there I was, show hadn’t even started, about to have arguably the best Wednesday night of my life, that had nothing to do with getting some.

It was another 45 minutes till he came on, so I grabbed my self a house whiskey rocks, and soaked in the scene for all it’s beauty and glory. I thought to myself,

“so this is how hip-hopsters do it, let the crowd get wasted, get high backstage, and come out at the latest possible moment, I like it.”

Uncertain of when the notorious Doggiest of dogs would take the stage, I made my through the crowd, gravitating towards certain areas with a high volume prospects, cognoscente that he could take the stage at any moment, working my way closer and closer to the stage. I eventually, and pretty easily landed my way to stage left, depicted in the above photo. I stood with my whiskey and rocks, of which I eventually finished, and returned to the bar for a refill, confident of my returning descent. Aware of the possible extended wait, I made the transition to a tall Budweiser, scouted the talent while making a few laps, and by way of a side platform walked right on down to about the 10th row.

I am 6’7, which makes every row a bit better for myself, than the average consumer. I had a good buzz going with the carryover from the Rock, and was ready for this gangstar to take stage, and knock my socks off. And so it was, his coming out was indicated with his voice over the PA, and despite not having his green hat, Snoop Dogg rocked D Town, well Royal Oak, but what’s the difference?

I eventually made my way to the other side of the stage, probably 2nd row, and legitimately believe I got a nod from the chronic-master himself. It was everything I could have hoped for from Snoop, he’s gave props to the 313, 16 or 17 pleas to smoke weed, and was only seen without a bunt for a moments in between. His set list was flawless, hitting all the notable favorites:

1. Next Episode

2. Lodi Dodi

3. Gin and Juice

4. Who Am I?

5. Drop It Like it’s Hot

6. Nothing But a “G” Thang

There is more, but I was drinkings, funking, and boogieing. Pay no attention the order, they are by recollection, not preference. At times I considered leaving, then retained my sanity and saw the “walk-in” of a lifetime through.

The show ended sometime close to two, I removed my flyers from my pocket, and stood in the lobby distributing to all the satisfied departing customers,

“bands and bikins!”

In five minutes time I handed out close to 100, and continued my welcomingly prolonged stroll home.


City living.